Track Teams Breaking Records
As the old saying goes, records are made to be broken. That is exactly what happened in the cool, brisk air on March 20, at Magic Morgan Stadium. The Dade County Track and Field team held the Dade County Classic Track Meet, hosting Gordon Lee, LaFayette, North Sand Mountain, Cornerstone Christian, and Valley Head.
Starting off the night, Levi Moreland stole the show in the high jump. He broke the previous school record of 5 feet and 6 inches with a jump of 5 feet and 10 inches, which claimed him the top spot in that event. Not too much longer after the high jump, Braylon Sullivan exploded out of the starting blocks with an 11.37 second 100-meter dash time claiming him first place and breaking the previous school record of 11.8 seconds.
All around, the Wolverines competed very well in the meet and took home first place overall in the men’s side and third overall in the women’s side.
Andrew Buffington had a third place finish in the men’s shot put, and Ian Byrd also placed third in the men’s discus event and second in the men’s pole vault.
Kierra Hughes dominated the 100 and 200-meter events on the women’s side, claiming first place in both of those events. Savannah Wolfe also claimed first in the women’s pole vault.
Emma Stinnett also had strong showing in the women’s 800-meter run, placing in the top three. Tanner Miller had a strong night, winning the men’s 1600-meter run and finishing second in the men’s 800-meter run. Daniel Goff also placed third in the men’s 1600-meter run.
The hurdling duo of Brody Cooper and Jace Anderson placed first and second in the 110-meter hurdle event while Anderson took home first place in the men’s 300-meter hurdle event. The boy’s relay team of Daniel Goff, Rock Chaney, Tanner Miller, and Tristian Hendricks had a strong first place finish in the men’s 4×800 meter relay. To finish off the night, Rock Chaney ran the mens 3200-meter in the cold night air and placed second in that event. Coaches commented that they “are so proud of our team as a whole and we are excited to continue this year.”
On Thursday, March 23, the Wolverine track teams continued their record breaking season with 27 personal records three school records.
School records broken were Braylon Sullivan, triple jump 39′ 10-1/2″; Ian Byrd, pole vault, 12′ 7″; Braylon Sullivan, Brody Cooper, Nick Eacret, and Jace Anderson, men’s 4×200 meter relay, 1:40.63.
Other top finishers for the Wolverines in the Dade County Mountain Class were:
- Men’s 4×800 Relay – first place, Daniel Goff, Tristan Hendricks, Waylon McDill, and Rock Chaney.
- Women’s Pole Vault – Raegan Page, first; Savannah Wolf, second.
- Men’s Pole Vault – Ian Byrd, first; Aiden Clark, second.
- Women’s Shot Put – Allie Thompson, first; Georgia Marter, second; Kendyl Phillips, third.
- Men’s Shot Put – Andrew Buffington, first; Grayson Cates, second.
- Women’s Discus Throw – Kendyl Phillips, first; Allie Thompson, second; Georgia Marter, third.
- Men’s Discus Throw – Wesley Ownbey, first; Ian Byrd, second; Aiden Kerns, third; Joshua Howard, fourth.
- Women’s Long Jump – Kierra Hughes, first.
- Men’s Long Jump – Braylon Sullivan, first.
- Men’s Triple Jump – Braylon Sullivan, first; Waylon McDill, second; Levi Moreland, third; Tristan Hendricks, fourth.
- Men’s High Jump – Levi Moreland, first; Waylon McDill, second.
- Women’s 100-Meter Hurdles – Savannah Wolfe, first.
- Men’s 110-Meter Hurdles – Brody Cooper, first; Jace Anderson, second.
- Women’s 100-Meter Dash – Kierra Hughes, first; Emma Vandergriff, fourth.
- Men’s 100-Meter Dash – Braylon Sullivan, first; Nick Eacret, fourth.
- Men’s 4×200 Meter Relay – Dade County, first, Solomon Doe, Nick Eacret, Tristan Hendricks, and Jace Anderson.
- Women’s 1600-Meter Run – Emma Stinnett, first.
- Men’s 1600-Meter Run – Daniel Goff, first, Tanner Miller, second; Rock Chaney, third.
- Women’s 4×100 Meter Relay – Dade County, first, Kierra Hughes, Zariah Hughes, Maddie Page, and Raegan Page.
- Men’s 400-Meter Dash – Solomon Doe, first.
- Men’s 300-Meter Hurdles – Jace Anderson, first; Brody Cooper, second.
- Women’s 800-Meter Run – Emma Stinnett, first.
- Men’s 800-Meter Run – Tristan Hendricks, first; Rock Chaney, second.
- Women’s 200-Meter Dash – Kierra Hughes, first.
- Men’s 200-Meter Dash – Nick Eacret, first; Judah Parham, third; Gabe Patrick, fourth.
- Men’s 3200-Meter Run – Tanner Miller, first; Rock Chaney, second.
- Men’s 4×100 Relay – Dade, first, Brody Cooper, Solomon Doe, Tristan Hendricks, and Jace Anderson.
The Wolverines’ next track and field meet will be on Thursday, March 30, at the Gordon Lee Invitational starting at 3 p.m. at Gordon Lee High School.