I, Dr. James Cantrell, am announcing my candidacy for Dade County Commissioner Candidate – District 3.
I am a conservative leader and I am asking for your vote and support as a candidate for Commissioner – District 3. Recently, I met with our current commissioner Mr. Robert Goff, who announced he would not run for re-election in 2024, and we discussed his support for me becoming the next District 3 Commissioner.
My goal as County Commissioner:
- Provide effective county governance to the people of Dade County,
- Obtain appropriate policy responses from federal and state legislative and executive branches,
- Foster far-sighted, innovative, and responsive county service delivery, policy decisions, and public resource utilization,
- Assure public understanding of the support for the choices and decisions required to sustain good county governance.
I am married to Angela Cantrell. We have 7 children and 22 grandchildren and have lived in Dade County since 2012. I retired from Dade County Schools serving as Director of Operations. Currently, I am building new homes and remodeling in the Dade County area.
I am a hard-working, self-motivated, professional who thrives in a role whereby pressure is very much part of everyday working life. I have decided to run for Commissioner of District 3 because I feel strongly that I have the necessary skills, qualities, and attributes to not only carry out each of the duties to a high standard but to also help Dade County to move forward positively and innovatively through hard work and determination.
I will act with honesty, integrity, impartially, with due diligence, and with the independence of any outside pressure in the discharge of my statutory functions. I support and will provide a system of local government services designed to “protect the health, safety, and welfare” of Dade County citizens. I have demonstrated over the past 30 years my ability to translate vision into action and have caused people to believe in and work towards fulfilling a vision that will grow and strengthen our county. I will conduct myself in a manner that is fair to all parties involved in moving Dade County forward while spending time celebrating others’ success and looking for ways to improve the overall performance of our county.
Below are some of my current and past roles which I believe qualify me for this role:
- Currently – Chairman of Dade County Industrial Development Authority
- Formerly – School System Administrator over 20 years, President Dade County Chamber of Commerce, Dade County Tax Accessor Board Member, Georgia Northwestern College Board member
- Retired – Director of Operations Dade County Schools
Thank you in advance for your support.
Dr. James Cantrell