Skip to content

Mayor Case looking to add storm shelters to Dade County

Trenton Mayor Alex Case announced at the July 20 Board of Education Meeting that three storm shelters are being put in place at the Dade Sports Complex, the South Dade Community Center, and Davis Elementary.


The shelters, which will cost a total of $460,000, can hold up to 216 people per shelter and have restrooms available. Case said 85% of the funding will come from hazard mitigations grants and the remaining 15% will be handled by the school board. Case said the shelters are being made in response to the storms and flooding that hit the county in 2015.


There is some debate about where the Davis Elementary Shelter should be placed. Case said he is working to get a survey back to the board that shows potential areas to install the shelter.


“We can meet again to determine exactly how big and where it will be,” Case said. “It can be used for the [students] as well.”

Leave a Comment